New Delhi: The Delhi Daredevils are among the favourites in the Champions League and skipper Gautam Gambhir is looking forward to his new role as leader of a talented squad. The new Daredevils' skipper told CNN-IBN he is looking forward to his new role as leader of a talented squad in an exclusive interview.
Gautam Gambhir: It's a great feeling playing and captaining the Daredevils because your passion is with Delhi. I have played most of my cricket for Delhi and I think it's a great opportunity and I hope it's going to be a great experience as well.
CNN-IBN: You have proved everyone what you have as a batsman, you think this is the platform to prove yourself as a leader?
Gautam Gambhir: The captain is only as good as his team. But at the same time it puts added responsibility on you. If you are not the leader, you only have your game to think about, but once you are the captain, you have to worry about the whole team and about each and every individual. So it's a different challenge but most cricketers want this responsibility.
Gautam Gambhir: The captain is only as good as his team. But at the same time it puts added responsibility on you. If you are not the leader, you only have your game to think about, but once you are the captain, you have to worry about the whole team and about each and every individual. So it's a different challenge but most cricketers want this responsibility.
CNN-IBN: There are two types of leader - one who leads from the front by performing and setting an example and there are others who push their team from behind. Have you thought what kind of leader you want to be?
Gautam Gambhir: I have led the Delhi Ranji Trophy team and I have always believed that a leader needs to lead from the front, and not just push from behind because if the team does not do well, you are answerable to everybody and if the team does well, then the credit goes to everyone. I have always believed that if a team doesn't do well the captain should be the one answering all the questions.
So, I think the leader needs to lead from the front and he should be able to handle all the storms and when the going gets tough, he should be the first to walk into it, instead of telling somebody else.
0 comments:
Post a Comment