London: England off-spinner Graeme Swann's sparkling form in South Africa contrasts with his tour there 10 years ago when he spent a lot of time drinking and was a million miles from the Test side, he was quoted as saying on Sunday. Swann is up to third in the international bowling rankings after his nine-wicket haul in the second Test led England to an innings victory, a result that gives the visitors a 1-0 lead going into Sunday's third and penultimate match in Cape Town.
However, it was very different when he toured South Africa as a young squad member in 1999-2000. "The difference between this current tour and that one is like polar opposites," the 30-year-old Swann told the Mail on Sunday. "I would turn up at the next hotel and the first thing I'd find out was where the bar was located. I was young and stupid and I didn't realise that sometimes you need more than one alarm clock to wake you up." Swann did not play a test match on the 1999-2000 tour and acknowledged he was not good enough in those days.
0 comments:
Post a Comment